For the rice:
500 gm basmati rice, washed & drained
6 black peppercorn
4 green cardamom
1 tsp fennel
3 tsp salt
For mutton/Chicken marination:
1 kg mutton or chicken
2TbspSwani Biryani Masala
1 Tbsp garlic paste
1 Tbsp ginger pastez
3 Tbsp raw papaya paste
(optional for tenderising meat)
4 Tbsp hung curd
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp coriander powder
1tsp cumin powder
1 Tbsp red chilli powder
1 tsp salt
4 onions, thinly sliced
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/4 th cup milk, warm
Ghee( Claried Butter)
Rose water (optional)
4 green chillies
Method of preparation
Marinating the mutton/chicken
- To the mutton/chicken add the beaten curd, ginger-garlic paste, raw papaya paste, chilli powder, salt, lemon juice half portion of Swani Biryani Masala.
- Allow the mutton to marinate for 3 hours.
Making fried onions:
- Slice 2 onions very thinly. Separate the slices.
- In a pan add oil and fry the onion slices till nicely brown.
- Take care not to burn them. Fry in small batches.
- Do not put all the slices at a time, that will lead to lumpy messy onions.
- Make sure all the onion slices frying are dipped in oil, Keep stirring continuously but gently for an even brown color.
- Take the fried onions out with a slotted spoon or ladle.
- Keep them on a paper-towel lined plate.
Cooking the mutton/chicken:
- Heat ghee in a thick-bottomed pan.
- Add remaining sliced onions and green chillies. Cook, stirring continuously, till onions are light golden brown.
- Add ginger paste and garlic paste and mix well.
- Add marinated mutton and cook on high heat for seven to eight minutes.
- Add coriander powder, cumin powder and red chilli powder. Mix thoroughly.
- Stir in three cups of water, bring it to a boil, reduce heat and cook covered till meat is almost cooked.
- Add tomatoes, salt, remaining portion of Swani Biryani masala and fresh coriander leaves.
- Cook for 15 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally. The ghee would be separated from the spices and there should not be any watery gravy to the meat.
Preparing the rice:
- Soak the rice for 20 minutes in water. Wash well and Drain all the water.
- In a small piece of cloth take cardamom, cloves,fennel, peppercorn, Mace, and tie a knot to make a bag (potli).
- Bring 750 ml water to boil, add rice, salt and potli, cover and cook till rice is done 1/3rd.
- Drain the water & remove the whole masala potli.
Preparing the saffron-milk:
- Take 1/4th cup warm milk in a cup and dissolve saffron strands in the milk.
- Cover and wait for 20 minutes. Add rose water in the milk. Mix well and cover. Keep aside.
Layering the biryani:
- Take a large heavy bottom pan with tight tting lid. Add 2tbsp ghee to the pan. Melt the ghee on low heat. Turn and rotate the pan carefully so the ghee can coat the bottom and sides of the pan. Switch off the heat.
- Add a layer of cooked rice, then cooked meat pieces, sprinkle saffron water, add fried onion slices and ghee.
- Again add a layer of rice, then meat…go on like this till you are done. Top and bottom layer will be of rice.
- Cover with chopped pudina and coriander, fried onion and slit green chillies and juice of half a lemon.
- Put the lid on. Seal the pan with our dough or aluminium foil, then put the lid. Keep the heat to lowest. And cook the Biryani in this ‘Dum’ process for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes switch off the heat and let the biryani stand for another 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl.